January 31, 2015

News:

ANC, EFF Bothaville case continues -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Motheo to introduce online registration -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Community health workers get 35 vehicles -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Ace warns against land grabs -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Saluting, mourning ‘Grootman’ Selebi -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Are 60% of SA’s hookers HIV-positive? -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Home-seekers urged to avoid bad debts -

Friday, January 30, 2015

55 caterers battle it out -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Hani killer awaits parole decision -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Hydro-power plant nears completion -

Friday, January 30, 2015

SA’s Boko Haram mercenaries warned -

Friday, January 30, 2015

Magashule to promote investment potential in Cuba -

Friday, January 30, 2015

‘Minister’s Facebook post unrelated to Soweto unrest’ -

Friday, January 30, 2015

World’s poor headed for better lives in 2030: Gates -

Friday, January 23, 2015

DA claim of SABC meddling riles Muthambi -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Ebola cases fall sharply in Sierra Leone -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Police disown farm attack stats -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Lungu takes early lead in Zambia vote -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Police to release list of key points -

Friday, January 23, 2015

Zuma, NZ PM meet in Davos -

Friday, January 23, 2015

  • the-weekly-sl1

    School dumps Lekota

    Principal defends scrapping Cope leader’s name A public high school in QwaQwa named after former Free State premier Mosiuoa Lekota has dumped the name, saying the decision to honour the controversial politician a decade ago was wrong in the first place. Mosiuoa Lekota Secondary School has reverted to its original name of Mokopela Secondary School. The school, established in 2000, had been renamed four years later in honour of Lekota who at that time was a high-ranking official of the ruling ANC party as well as South Africa’s defence minister. Lekota had served as the Free State’s first premier between…

  • the-weekly-sl1

    Malema hits back at Ramakatsa

    EFF leader Julius Malema has accused former party national coordinator Mpho Ramakatsa of being a foul-mouthed sore loser and dared him to take their dispute to the courts – in a fall-out between the former allies that is sure to tarnish the opposition’s name. Taking their war of words to new lows, Malema casts Ramakatsa as a little less than a racist bigot who allegedly vowed he would never be “led by people of Indian origin”. In a hard-hitting, nine-page letter responding to an equally ill-tempered one written by Ramakatsa, the EFF president accuses his colleague of being a destabilising…

  • the-weekly-sl3

    ANCWL wants stiff sentences for rapists

    The ANC Women League in the Motheo Region has called on the Bloemfontein High Court to impose a tough sentence on a 48-year-old man who is charged with repeatedly raping his daughter between 2008 and 2011 – if he is found guilty. This man is charged with rape, incest, sexual assault and common assault which allegedly happened while he was staying with her, her half-brother and sister. He allegedly raped his daughter – who is now 19 years old – and assaulted her on different locations, in her bedroom, a caravan within their yard in Oranjesig, Bloemfontein, and in a…

  • the-weekly-sl4

    ‘Rapist’ cop in fresh bail bid

    The Bloemfontein police officer accused of raping a female suspect at Heidedal Police Station is set to launch a fresh application for bail at the Bloemfontein Regional Magistrates Court, his lawyers said this week. Constable Vuyani Mrwetyana, 36, was denied bail about two weeks ago by the Bloemfontein Magistrates Court which said it could not order his release from custody because of the possibility he could interfere with witnesses and that he was a flight risk. The court also said it was denying the constable bail because freeing him could endanger the life of the complainant who has apparently been…

  • the-weekly-sl5

    EPWP jobs spark Thaba Nchu violence

    15 arrested after fracas, granted R1 500 bail each Fifteen people arrested for inciting violence in Thaba Nchu over the recruitment of workers for the Expanded Public Works Programme (EPWP) were granted bail when they appeared at the Thaba Nchu Magistrates Court on Wednesday. The suspects who are facing charges of public violence, assault and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm were each granted bail of R1 500. They were asked to return to court on Wednesday next week. The 15 were arrested on Monday after attacking four EPWP workers in Thaba Nchu, about 65km east of Bloemfontein….

Popular News

The-Weekly--Selebi F

Hundreds pay Selebi tributes

Jan 30, 2015

A large hall at the Tshwane Events Centre in Pretoria was almost full on Thursday evening as family members and ANC supporters commemorated the life of former police chief Jackie Selebi. Chairman of the ANC in Gauteng, Paul Mashatile, and Small Business Development Minister Lindiwe Zulu sat in one of the front rows. Addressing the gathering, Tshwane mayor Kgosientso Ramokgopa described Selebi as “one of the most distinguished cadres of our liberation struggle”. He said Selebi “served with distinction” during his tenure as South African ambassador and permanent representative at the United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland. Outside the hall, scores…

The-Weekly-Vusi-Tshabalala F

Mayor helps pupils with traffic

Jan 30, 2015

Maluti a Phofung executive mayor Vusi Tshabalala took time off his office schedule on Monday to help the pupils of Akofang Primary School in QwaQwa to regulate traffic, in a bid to emphasise the importance of safety on the roads. Tshabalala, himself a former pupil of Akofang, was in the company of member of the mayoral committee (MMC) responsible for public safety and transport, Moeketsi Lebesa. He told The Weekly that aim of the initiative was to alert drivers of the importance of ensuring that pupils are safe when they are being transported to and from school, as well as…

The-Weekly--failed F

FREEDOM ATTEMPT FOILED

Jan 30, 2015

Brazen prison break plan goes awry Social media and a guilty conscience – between them they proved too much for murder accused Quewin Francois Coetzee. And so, despite a brazen plan to escape from custody, he’s now serving 20 years in jail. Early in 2013 Coetzee was awaiting trial for murder. But he was determined to get out, whatever it took. He applied for bail in the magistrate’s court. Refused, he tried again, this time in the high court. After he failed there too, he dreamt up an entirely new scheme. Claiming that “new facts” had come to light, he…

The-Weekly-Mr-T-Manyoni F

Mangaung cleans up its books

Jan 30, 2015

. . . as metro gets unqualified audit opinion Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality obtained an unqualified audit opinion with findings for the 2013/14 financial year, its best performance since it was elevated in April 2011 from a local municipality to a metro. An unqualified audit opinion with findings means the Auditor General of South Africa (AGSA), upon inspecting the city’s financial statements, was satisfied they were essentially true but found that the municipality either failed to report on its financial performance against its predetermined objectives or failed to comply with some other legislation governing use of public funds. This is a…

Sports

the-weekly-sl6

Grainger takes over Davis Cup team

Tennis South Africa has handed the ropes over to the seasoned tennis coach after a rift with former skipper After John-Laffnie de Jager’s abrupt resignation as the captain of the South African Davis Cup team, Fed Cup team captain, Earl Grainger, has been roped in by Tennis South Africa (TSA) to take over the team on a temporary basis. Grainger, who was appointed Fed Cup captain last year, is considered to be one of the most successful tennis coaches in the country and will lead the Davis Cup team in the two upcoming Euro/Africa Zone Group 2 ties against Estonia,…

the-weekly-sl8

‘Shakes is still the man’

Despite the seasoned mentor’s woeful run at the 2015 AFCON tournament, Clinton Larsen is still giving Shakes Mashaba the thumbs up Clinton Larsen feels Ephraim Shakes Mashaba is still the right man to carry forward Bafana Bafana’s development mandate handed to him by the South African Football Associations (SAFA). Bafana Bafana disappointingly bowed out of the 2015 edition of the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) after finishing at the bottom of the so-called group of death, which included Ghana, Senegal and the continent’s number one ranked national team, Algeria. The South Africans lost two of their three group matches –…

the-weekly-sl7

Bloem police shape up

The police have over the years been widely criticised for deploying officers that are visibly physically unfit to patrol streets or combat crime The South African Police Services (SAPS) has for long been widely criticised for deploying physically unfit officials to the streets of the country to combat crime. The ability of the ‘men and women in blue’ to combat crime or nab offenders has often come into question; a very negative public perception that has harshly brought the police’s competence under a lot of critism. In a bid to change this widespread view, the SAPS in the Bloemfontein area…

the-weekly-sl10

Celtic promises safety at stadium

The Siwelele Park-based club has allayed fears that teenage gangsters might strike again during their match against Mamelodi Sundowns this weekend Bloemfontein Celtic has made an assurance that fans will be safe when the teams takes on premiership champions, Mamelodi Sundowns, at the Kaizer Sebothelo Stadium in Botshabelo this Sunday at 15:30, in a preseason match aimed at raising awareness about the gang violence that has pervaded the local community and is largely perpetrated by rogue teenagers. The club’s public relations officer, Sello Nduna, told The Weekly on Monday that the club’s supporters need not worry about their safety at…